Finding the best beaches close to Burbank is easy…always take a local’s word for it. That’s what I did when we first moved to Burbank over 20 years ago. And now, I get to be that local who lets you know which beaches I think are best, based on my own experience.
So, Los Angeles is absolutely known for its beautiful beaches, and there are many to choose from depending on your preferences. Here are some of the best beaches (in no particular order) to visit in the Los Angeles are, if you ask me:
- Santa Monica Beach: Okay listen. This beach is…well, great for tourists. BUT…hear me out, it’s Santa Monica! Such a gorgeous place the pier can be super beautiful. Also, if you ever have out-of-towners visiting, this is probably the beach they’d like to see most. This super iconic beach is a must-visit when in Los Angeles, honestly. The beach is known for its wide and vast amount of soft sand, the Santa Monica Pier, and Muscle Beach.
- Venice Beach: Forget Walmart. This is the best people watching I’ve ever experienced. Also, very touristy..so if that’s the mood you’re in, go! If you’re not in the mood for people…stay far away from this place. This is a very lively beach and is very popular with tourists. Venice Beach is known for its VERY colorful boardwalk, street performers, and eclectic shops. If you’ve never been or if you’ve got family visiting form the Midwest…do it! Just don’t leave ANY valuables in your car.
- Malibu Beach: Malibu Beach is a favorite among surfers and those looking for a quieter beach experience. The beach is surrounded by stunning cliffs and offers beautiful views of the Pacific Ocean. It’s a little nicer and more clean than Santa Monica and Malibu. And when you think of the beach in LA, Malibu definitely comes to mind. Parking is always tricky at any of the beaches…but this one is popular, so be prepared to walk!
- Manhattan Beach: This beach is a popular spot for families and offers a quieter, more relaxed atmosphere compared to other beaches in the area. Manhattan Beach is known for its volleyball courts and beachside cafes. We love Manhattan Beach for the restaurants that are walking distance.
- Zuma Beach: Zuma Beach is located in Malibu and is an absolute favorite among locals. The beach offers tons of soft sand and is known for its excellent surf conditions. I’ve done plenty of 5k runs along Zuma beach, and it is in fact, serene.
- Huntington Beach: Some of the most popular spots at this beach include Duke’s Huntington Beach, Sandy’s Beach Shack, and the Beachfront 301. Huntington is south of Los Angeles and can sometimes be a bit of a drive, but it’s soooo beautiful and quiet.
- Newport Beach: Newport Beach is drop dead gorgeous. This beach is in Orange Counting and It’s also home to several attractions such as the Balboa Fun Zone, a historic amusement park, and Balboa Island, a charming coastal community that is accessible by ferry. Visitors can also take a stroll along the boardwalk, which offers stunning views of the ocean and the surrounding area.
- Marina Del Rey: Marina Del Rey has a special place in my heart. They have paddle boarding, sport fishing and Killer Shrimp!! (The restaurant, not shrimp that will harm you if you get in the water). Mother’s Beach is a super safe little inlet where you can take your littles to play very safely, with the right supervision.
- Rosie’s Dog Beach: Okay, this is a beach for all the dog owners! We LOVE LOVE LOVE Rosie’s in Long Beach. So does our pup, Mando. He hates the water…like hates water. He would rather die, but he LOVES the sand. He loves the freedom of running around and he loves the other friends he makes there. (Mostly) This place is great.
You’ll definitely have a fun experience at any of the local beaches. Just make sure that you plan the whole day! Travel team from Burbank can be crazy. Plan time for parking, unloading, cleaning up, loading, dusting off…it’s a lot. It’s no day at the beach!! I kid, I kid. But, really, bring cash, water, sunscreen, shade umbrellas, food and really average expectations…and you’ll have a blast!
Happy Beach Day Adventures!